The top 30 largest corporations of the Philippines form the PSEi index, the main stock index of the country. Some of these companies are subsidiaries from same group of Philippine corporations.
In investors language the 30 largest corporations are also commonly called blue chip companies.
What are blue chips companies?
The term "Blue Chips" believed to have originated from the game of poker, where the blue ones are the most expensive.
In stock market, blue chips refers to the largest companies measured by asset size or market capitalization, history of reliable financial growth and quality earnings.
Links to top 30 public listed companies in the Philippines PSEI in ALPHABETICAL order (aug. 2019)
To make ease browsing with on this list, the links will direct you to the information of any of these companies.
- Aboitiz Equity Ventures, Inc. – sector: Holding Firms
- Aboitiz Power Corp. – sector: Energy & Utilities
- Alliance Global Group, Inc. – sector: Holding Firms
- Ayala Corporation – sector: Holding Firms
- Ayala Land, Inc. – sector: Real Estate
- Bank of The Philippine Islands – sector: Finance
- BDO Unibank, Inc. – sector: Finance
- Bloomberry Resorts Corporation - sector: Consumer Discretionary
- DMCI Holdings, Inc. – sector: Holding Firms
- First Gen Corporation – sector: Energy & Utilities
- Globe Telecom, Inc. – sector: Telecommunications
- GT Capital Holdings, Inc. – sector: Holding Firms
- International Container Terminal Services, Inc. – sector: Transportation & Logistics
- JG Summit Holdings, Inc. – sector: Holding Firms
- Jollibee Foods Corporation – sector: Food & Beverages
- LT Group, Inc. – sector: Holding Firms
- Manila Electric Company – sector: Energy & Utilities
- Megaworld Corporation – sector: Real Estate
- Metro Pacific Investments Corporation – sector: Holding Firms
- Metropolitan Bank & Trust Company – sector: Finance
- Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company – sector: Telecommunications
- Puregold Price Club, Inc. – sector: Commerce
- Robinsons Land Corporation – sector: Real Estate
- Robinsons Retail Holdings, Inc. – sector: Commerce
- San Miguel Corporation – sector: Food & Beverages
- Security Bank Corporation – sector: Finance
- SM Investments Corporation – sector: Holding Firms
- SM Prime Holdings, Inc. – sector: Real Estate
- Semirara Mining And Power Corporation – sector: Mining / Energy & Utilities
- Universal Robina Corporation – sector: Food & Beverages
My Final Thoughts
This is a good start for looking at blue chip companies to partner with. As a new investor I will buy companies that I understand what business they are in.
Many of these companies you're already acquainted with and have been doing business with them such as food sector (e.g. Jollibee) , financial sector (e.g. BDO) , shopping malls (e.g. SM) and telecommunications (e.g. Globe or PLDT).
Keep it simple. The key is being consistent and invest regularly if you can. Apply those stock fundamentals mentioned on my previous post and narrow down the companies to partner with, depending on how much funds you can afford to invest.
Happy Investing Everyone!
Are you a beginner or a seasoned investor? Which blue chip companies have you invested in and why?
Let me know in the comment section below.